During the winter break of 2017, my laptop broke down! That is when I found myself completely clueless without my softwares and screen. It was a rude wake-up call for me to go back to the very basics and have a little fun. So I raided my mum’s sewing supplies, pulled out a bundle of scrap cloth pieces and decided to learn embroidery in the process.
The process involved drawing the letter on paper until the proportions are right (or close enough). The same letterform would then be drawn on the cloth with soft, light strokes using a glass pencil. The initial few letters were sacrificed as I learned the basic stitches, chain, stem and running. Then I wanted to try a few colour variations next. I tried combining colours, sometimes similar or contrasting, to create a gradient effect using satin and chain stitch. Working with cross stitch without a supporting grid proved to be slightly challenging. This seemingly simple stitch turned out to be tedious and demanded a lot of patience.
At various points during the project, I ended up using the wrong cloth, unfit for embroidery, a thread too thick or too thin. Soon the lessons were learned and I could gauge the strength of the cloth, figure out the right thread and the right stitch for the particular letter. Often a cloth with an interesting pattern would spark an idea. The stitches became finer as well, doing some justice to the curves of the letterform.